In 1379, the chronicles of Wigand of Marburg state that a marshal of the Teutonic Order, Gottfried of Linden, who was attacking Lithuania, descended from Neris to Eiguliai. This is the first mention of this place’s name. Today, Eiguliai is a residential district of Kaunas. The area’s history from the 14th century can be found in the form of a hill fort that hides here. It’s believed that the castle of Eiguliai (Egollen) stood on this hill fort and was burnt by the German Crusaders on June 30, 1382. There are those who believe that the rebuilt Vytautas Eiguliai castle was where Vytautas 1390 defeated Skirgaila.