Kaunas Hockey: Ice-Cold Facts
The team only played its first official match in Autumn 2017. Let's see how they are doing.
As some of you know very well, Lithuania is home to the kingdom of basketball and Kaunas is its unbeatable capital. We love our BC Žalgiris Kaunas and we can fill in Žalgirio arena on any day of the week. Of course, this means Kaunasians are generally sports-friendly, so it’s about time we explore some of the other options for a die-hard sports fan. As footballers are now on holidays, why don’t we take a look at ice hockey?
- Kaunas Hockey is the representative team of Kaunas and the only in the city that participates in the Lithuanian ice hockey championship.
The team is young and so are its fans! Photo by Teodoras Bilūnas
- The team only played its first official match in Autumn 2017. The carcass for the new team was Kauno Tigrai, a semi-pro team that also participated in the Lithuanian championship. As of late December, it stands second in the Championship. First is Energija from Elektrėnai, also known as the kings of Lithuanian ice hockey.
- Energija actually lost to Kaunas Hockey in November; it was the first time anyone beat the Elektrėnai team in the Lithuanian championship in 5.5 years.
Photo by Teodoras Biliūnas
- It took a total of 25 penalty shots for a game between Kaunas Hockey and Rokiškis to end in November. We won!
- The team members represent Lithuania, Russia, Kazachstan, Sweden and the US.
- Two brothers, Vytautas Jagelavičius (he’s also the captain of the team) and Povilas Jagelavičius, and two more brothers, Aurimas Gutauskas and Erminas Gutauskas, are members of the team.
Vytautas and Povilas have a big family who always attend the games to support the brothers
- One of the defencemen of Kaunas Hockey is Petras Nausėda, the president of Lithuanian Hockey Association.
- The home games of Kaunas Hockey are held in Kaunas ice arena which is located in Žaliakalnis. The neighbourhood is also home to the S. Darius and S. Girėnas football stadium and the Kaunas sports hall, both of which are icons of interwar architecture.
A 104-year old all-around legendary Kaunasian Jonas Murauskas, by all means the oldest ice hockey player in the country (he was among the very first ones, too!) participated in the first game of Kaunas Hockey in Autumn.
The Kaunas Hockey aesthetics was created and graphic design is done by Agnė Žiūkaitė. She also plays futsal and is a fan of FC Barcelona.
- During the launch, a few dozen of lucky Kaunasians were awarded with special “Kaunasian cards” that guarantee free entry to all home games of Kaunas hockey. They also prove you’re a real Kaunasian!
The mascot of the team is a fluffy bison, an animal that’s also featured in the coat of arms of Kaunas. The bison is kind of the patron saint of all sports in Kaunas, too. It made its debut during the International Children's Games (ICG '2017) that were held in Kaunas in Summer 2017.
- The sponsors of the team include Hummel sportswear, Red Light Barbers (the ones with the viral GTA videos) and Kautra, the leading bus carrier that takes the team to games outside Kaunas.
- Every home game is followed by a visit to Republic, a kaunastic pub located in Laisvės alėja. Everyone’s invited!
P.S. Ever wondered how hockey players look without their armour? That’s how.
Follow Kaunas Hockey on Facebook and Instagram. See you on ice!